Choose Form & Fill In Details
ExpressEfile allows you to generate Form 941-X for free. Simply choose "Form 941-X" and complete the required fields on the Form.
- Enter basic details about your business
- Choose the type of return (941 or 941-SS), quarter and the tax year that you are correcting for, along with the date you discovered an error on your Form.
Completing Page 1 of Form 941-X
With ExpressEfile, you are allowed to enter Form information in each section of Form 941-X.
Select “Adjusted Employment Tax Return”
- If you have underreported amounts
- If you have overreported amounts and would like to correct the errors
- If you are correcting both the overreported and underreported amount on this form
- If you have overreported amounts only and would like to use the claim process for a refund or abatement of the amount.
- If you are correcting underreported amount, just check “Line 3” and skip “Part 2” and complete “Part 3”
- If you are correcting overreported amount, check “Line 3” and check all that apply on “Line 4” and
- If you are claiming a refund or abatement for the overreported amount, check “Line 3” and check all that apply on “Line 5”
Click “Save and Continue” to proceed to page 2 of Form 941-X.
Completing Page 2 of Form 941-X
- Enter the corrected amount in "Column 1" and the previously reported amount in "Column 2". Our system will auto-calculate the difference in "Column 3".
- For few lines, the amount for "Column 4" will be auto-calculated. And for a few lines, you have to enter "Column 4" values on your own.
- To simplify calculations, ExpressEfile provides a drop down value for "Lines 8-11". Select the required value per the correction that you are reporting.
- Be sure to show your calculations on "Line 24" for each line.
Click “Save and Continue” to proceed to page 3 of Form 941-X.
Completing Page 3 of Form 941-X
- If your correction includes both underreported and overreported amounts, please check “Line 22” and explain the amounts on Line 24.
- If your correction has any reclassified workers check “Line 23” and provide an explanation on "Line 24".
- Provide a detailed explanation on why are you making these corrections on "Line 24".
- You are required to sign your Form 941-X to ensure the return has been reviewed and includes all of the required statements and Schedules. You can use ExpressEfile’s convenient e-sign feature to complete this step.
- ExpressEfile allows you to attach Amended Schedule B (Form 941). Click “I will add Schedule B (Form 941),” add Schedule B information and click “Save and Continue” to proceed further or select “I do not need Schedule B.”
Click “Save and Continue” to attach Schedule B, if required.
Download, Print and Postal Mail your Form 941-X to the IRS
- ExpressEfile allows you to download Form 941-X along with Schedule B for free. Download the Form and sign if you have not used our e-sign option under “Part 5.”
- You can then print and postal mail it to the IRS on your own.